Monday, November 16, 2009

Tea With Jane Austen: JASNA


We have a delightful tradition in my Jane Austen Book Club. Every winter we attend the JASNA Jane Austen Tea which includes delicious tea, yummy scones, and interesting guest authors (writers of the popular Jane Austen fan fiction). The years event is going to be on December 12th and I can't wait. It will be a busy day (Spencer's birthday party is that evening) but well worth the fanfare.



Last year's event was enchanting; they brought in a string quartet that created the perfect ambiance. Syrie James, author of The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen, was the guest speaker and we all enjoyed it immensely.














The first year we went, we were all amused to see a young gentleman in a period costume. When we asked him about it he explained that he dressed up "just because". He did so the following year as well. Pamela Aidan, author of An Assembly Such as This: A Novel of Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman, was the speaker the first year. She was a treat.

1 comment:

Rece said...

I get weekly e-mails from the Jane Austen Center store in Bath, England. I went "window shopping" tonight. I want to go on the Jane Austen tour of England. Oh, I was SO born in the wrong era. I could have been Lizzie and lived with the rents until my marriage to...someone a little less egotistical than Darcy...perhaps Henry Tilney.