Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cup of Tea


This week has been long, which is humorous considering it was a short week of school. I got more students in my classes (ensuring that some of my students have no place to sit), I had to deal with some serious behavioral issues, I still have no phone in my room to call for help in case of an emergency or a discipline problem, and I have had some serious migraines this week. Tomorrow is Friday and I am counting the hours until 2:27 when the kids are released.

It's not that I don't like the kids; I feel lucky that I have such a great group. Instead it is the fact that I am tired and feeling the strain of grading my first significant assignments while helping Spencer get off on the right foot in second grade and in soccer. My marathon in a few weeks, Steen is starting city league, and the house is messy. All of this can be summed up in one word: stress.

Tomorrow after school I will be taking a break to have some snow monkey plum tea with orange honey and a vanilla bean scone. I am going to finish reading Traveling Mercies and plan to spend some time journaling. After that, it will be off to bed and to sleep by 9 pm so that I can get up for my 10 mile run on Saturday feeling refreshed. Somehow, even just the thought of having this "break" is enough to help me relax. Friday is almost here and I am ready to find my zen.

2 comments:

Devon said...

Oh, I am so there with you. I've just been wandering around in pajamas all morning, putting in wash, picking up the hundreds of random items that are scattered from one end of my house to the other, watering plants, and drinking coffee. I'm pretty sure that teachers enjoy weekends more than anyone else on this earth.

Shelli Bunn-Petterson said...

Solidarity sister. :) We have missed you at our last few gatherings, tonight's discussion included an analysis of the merits of The Hunger Game.