Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cheesecake & Laughter


We had our 17 mile run today and it was an exercise in perseverance. I twisted my knee on the 9th mile and had to do the remaining 8 (with significant hills) on a throbbing knee. It was fairly miserable, however, I did feel immense pride when I was finished. It was the longest I had ever gone on a run before.
Coming home, I stopped by a gas station to get two bags of ice to create an ice-bath in our tub to help ease the sore lower half of my body. It was twenty minutes of burning cold that I have not missed since leaving college athletics. Once I had showered and napped/watched movies for awhile, I went to meet Tammy at The Cheesecake Factory (it was supposed to be Christin's farewell Jane Austen Book Club event, but both she and Anna couldn't make it) and had a lovely time eating good food and watching Asher play. It is funny how something as small as a tasty red velvet cheesecake and baby giggles can make a tough day seem peaceful. I guess it is true that the simple pleasures in life are the ones that have the greatest impact on us.

2 comments:

Jim said...

OMG Shelly ... 17 miles? You are amazing.

Shelli Bunn-Petterson said...

Thanks. My left knee is super swollen and I am icing frequently, but I feel great. Give Shane a hug for me, I love you guys.