Sunday, July 26, 2009

Thoughts On Gender



I have been encountering many groups lately, both feminist and anti-feminist, and the thing that frightens me the most is the negativity. I consider myself an equity feminist, meaning that I embrace the differences between men and women and believe that there should be equitable treatment. Women should not get "special treatment" and neither should men. We should work together to build up our society without anyone trying to "oppress" the other.



I am a wife and a mother. I love my husband and think of my role as a mother as the highest honor in my life. I am a teacher. I enjoy that fact that my work helps support our family financially and that I get to have an impact on today's youth. I enjoy my independence, but my husband is also my best friend. We have a partnership, using our mutual strengths to make the best decisions possible for our family. If I ever have a daughter, I want her to appreciate and understand her worth and potential and make choices that will leave her fulfilled and happy, the same hopes that I have for my son. I want my children to respect people, not based on gender, race, sexual orientation, etc. but rather based on an individual's choices and actions in life.
Maybe if everyone would spend a little less time worrying about distinctions and ways in which they can be segregated then we would all be better off.

No comments: