Monday, December 20, 2010

The Big 3-0





I confess that I pictured myself looking more like this on my thirtieth birthday (above). Decked out in a killer black dress in New York city with an amazing Louise Green hat to top off a posh evening. Instead, I was sporting the trademark sagging tummy of a new mommy and recent recipient of a cholecystectomy as well as grubby cloths and sleep deprived eyes (below). My life isn't what I imagined it would be and that is actually a wonderful thing. In place of the superficial joys I imagined for myself, I have some true blessings: a gorgeous husband who loves me, a sweet little boy with an amazing imagination and artistic sense, the world's cutest dog, and a beautiful baby girl that greets me every morning with a goofy smile and a snuggle. I have a job that I love and wonderful friends and family. Sometimes I think back on the dreams of my childhood and realize that many of them have come true, just not quite in the way I had originally imagined them. It's cliche, but I can't help but thinking about the saying that talks about getting what you want versus getting what you need. :) I love my life and hope to enjoy the next thirty as much as the last.


No comments: