Monday, June 29, 2009

Pride

I was reading a friend's blog today and was struck by the content. He is a gay man and was discussing the way previous efforts by LGTB Americans have paved the way for the rights he enjoys today. How strange that there is some need in people to elevate themselves by belittling and oppressing others. I have always been interested in women's rights and how it has progressed and how it still needs to progress. The experiences of women long before I was ever born are the foundation for the life I am able to have today. It is both humbling and inspiring. Throughout the world their are men, women, and children that do not enjoy equality because of their religious beliefs, culture, race, sexual orientation, gender, political stance, etc. and we should all be a part of fighting for their equality and fair treatment. I don't want to be the girl that stands back and says, "Oh, how sad for them... that should really be changed." I want to make choices and take actions that will have a more dynamic impact and I want my son to grow up with an awareness of the issues and a passion for change. My goal this summer is to look for small things that I can begin to work on that will have an impact. I would encourage everyone to do the same. When everyone acts, the power for change generated is a remarkable thing.

No comments: